22 December 2005

Adventure all Around!

Every time I walk outside I have an adventure. I try to speak as much Turkish as possible, I don't want to be just some jerk tourist. I did my shopping at a small store on the way home in halting Turkish and then stopped and talked with an old man about cats, but he asked me a question I didn't understand and I told him I was sorry, but I was an English speaker. He just grinned and shook my hand. But it's amazing, people say 90% of communication is non-verbal. It seems exaggerated, sure. But go to a country where you desperately struggle to communicate verbally and you see how much communication is non-verbal, since that becomes your primary way of dealing with people.

Someone came into the cafe waving a Fenerbache flag today, (futbol team in Istanbul) meaning there was probably a match. Maybe I should have gone down to the pub and watched.

Tomorrow is Friday, and honestly, I'm ready for the weekend. I'll get to see the sun, also there is a bit of a Christmas-Eve dinner in the works that I will be attending. Sorry people back home! I'm getting you all presents, but I'll have to wait until I am able to send them back with someone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home