31 July 2006

The Rest Will Have to Wait for Next Time

And so the fairy tale draws to a close, thank you for being my audience through these misadventures. It's hard for me to put into words what being in Istanbul feels like. For me moments would come where I felt inspired and adventurous, up stairways to hidden vistas or leaning against the rail of the ferry, straining to take in all that passed. There's something magical about this place, or maybe it's part of human nature, something awakens in us when we take root to different soil.


Here's a young cat enjoying a bit of shade. The humidity and heat have struck again, this weekend all we managed to do was lie around the apartment complaining about the weather before working up the strength to spend the afternoon in the mall. Soulless box of consumerism aside, Cevahir is air conditioned. For this reason (I think) I see many women sporting the incredibly conservative black drapes doing their shopping in the mall. Mecidiyeköy isn't exactly that conservative, even in the neighborhoods that have a much more religious feel I don't see the voluminous black garment. But my guess is when the shopping needs to be done a drive across town is totally justified by the air conditioning that awaits. Having spent high school as 'super goth' with a black trench coat in the summer months, I can sympathize. But enough flippant remarks about the benefits of air conditioning.

Cevahir mall is if nothing else, full of stores and I had a little mission in mind before leaving Turkey. Because so many cloths are made here, and cloths tend to be really cheap. I thought, "Gee Alex, time for that suit. You might find yourself in situations where a Utilikilt won't be appreciated as formal attire." I've got to put in my full recommendation on doing this, with a lot of help from one of the ladies I came to something that makes me look like I'm paying attention. Textiles are inexpensive in Turkey, particularly wool, compared to the US and so deliciously soft.

I have been given an open invitation to return to Turkey, an offer I will take repeatedly I know. But, my plane leaves at sunrise, it's time to put away these misadventures. I hope you enjoyed reading, see you later. I'll post video projects as they are completed, so check back in a week, you might see something.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ayyy this kitten is so lovely!
And instead of stucking into the apartment, you could've gone to Boğaziçi University. It's close to Mecidiyeköy. There you could have lied on the grass, enjoy shades of trees and continuous breeze coming from Bosphorus.
Alex, can I save some of cat photos? You know how much I liked those photos, and I'd be happy if I can see them always. And also last photo of Topkapı-Aya Sofya-Sultanahmet Camii that you took from ferry? I love the combination of clouds and the rest there, and if you allow me I may use it in İstanbul Metroblogging (by giving you credit, of course!)

2:49 PM  
Blogger Alex Gray said...

Sure, you're free to use the cat photos, and the shot from the ferry. I'm glad you enjoy them!

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks...
Next time when you're here let me buy you some rakı next to Bosphorus...to thank you for lttingme see those lovely cats...

9:15 PM  
Blogger Alex Gray said...

Haha! Sounds great! I'm actually expecting to be back in Istanbul this winter, maybe I'll see you then. Rakı is a frightening beverage, but with five months to prepare I might work up the courage needed!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 months of mental preparation for rakı-uppst! I'm glad I'm Turkish, at least I'm born to rakı so I don't need any courage to drink it... If you won't be ready until winter, I'll buy you something else-see life is easy in fact...

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex,
Just recently I found your site and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your "mis"adventures in Istanbul. I have always wanted to visit (and perhaps live for a time) in Turkey, so I appreciate the opportunity to live vicariously through your postings. Thank you for sharing your stories and I hope you'll have the opportunity to return and, perhaps, share more of your adventures with us.
best,
Rebecca
Houston, TX

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home