10 July 2006

And That Makes Two Weddngs in One Week

(another frantically typed non-spellchecked internet cafe post for your perusal. I will return to Istanbul tomorrow night.)

Last night was the final night of wedding festivities. The parlor where events were held was really amazing. We entered a dreary, empty carpark and went up four flights to where suddenly bright lights, rows of tables, and a band greeted us. The entire level had been converted (or intentionally designed that way) with tile flooring, a kitchen and even a stage for the band. The windows gave us an uninterrupted view of the city and sunset behind distant hills. The carpark conversion was a stroke of genious, not only could several hundred guests be accomidated comfortably, but the bride and groom were able to arrive onto the dance floor by car!
I didn't know what to expect and one shared tradition that made me smile was the bride and groom feeding each other a bite of cake right after cutting it. It's shallow and weird of me I know, but seeing little unexpected similarities makes things seem closer.
Having said that I don't really know how to prepare myself for returning to my home in America, it's been such a long time. But I never really fit in anyway, so no loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home