28 July 2006

Four Days Left, Yikes

Unfortunately the vacation up to the Black Sea didn't get off the ground. No seaside fish cookout and evening hikes this time. But that means one more weekend in Istanbul, and I have a partner for the excitement. The ladies returned from the South coast and one hopped on another flight a less than a day later! Crazy ladies, they can't seem to stay in one country for more than a week.
Last night, in the spirit of Western decadence, we ordered Pizza from Little Caesar's and watched a movie. I've seen many chains that I really didn't expect to see, not just Little Caesar's, Quiznos and El Torrito surprised me when I saw them.
That's something that startled me as soon as I arrived in Turkey, all these companies that I thought of as a subset of 'American' actually have a much larger scope. But rather 'American' is becoming subordinate to these entities, buying a hamburger wrapped in paper without leaving your car isn't a uniquely American thing. I guess just wasn't expecting to see so much that was the same when other flags were flying. Some more naïvety left behind I suppose. That said, the pizza was so delicious, they put sesame seeds on the crust, kind of like a simit. And you can order lamb on your pizza, which sure beats slimy pork sausages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home