20 July 2006

Istanbul Shuffle

Spent a night in Baçeşir after an odyssey involving missed chances, public transportation, climbing down embankment walls, thorn bushes, and a bathroom door that only knows how to lock. Whew! But I'm back in M.köy and it's a beautiful day in Istanbul. After a hot as blazes weekend things have settled into partially cloudy and very pleasant summer days. Another night along the great western frontier and I'll be back in the city for the weekend. This weekend I have a few goals, the limits of my stay coming to bare in my mind. One more trip to Sultanahmet is a must, cheesy tourist grabbers and rip-off carpet salesmen aside I haven't actually been inside the palace yet. Besides, I have a back way so I can avoid most of those who would put their culture on display for a dollar. I'll return to the antiquities museum for another go at my old favorites. Maybe the garden cafe is open and I can sip some tea next to marble statues from two millennia ago. Saturday I'll see about going up to Taksim and seeing what's on the menue at the AKM. This is going to be an action packed weekend! And that video of Hasankeyf ain't making itself either!
A trip to the black sea for my last weekend (that's the weekend after next) is in the works. Hopefully I'll make it up that way, I hear nothing but great things about it. Being able to hike in mountains and then enjoy a seaside dinner of fresh fish is a rare opportunity. Don't stay in the same place too long!

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex Gray said...

Hey! You get avocados, don't give those up for anything... oh man, it's been nearly eight months without a delicious, tender green fruit of perfection. I'm going to make fresh guac the day I get back. But yeah, I plan to live it up on my hopeful visit to the black sea. Especially since it will be one someone else's tab. Still haven't gotten confirmation about that, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home