19 June 2006

Salt and Scurvy

Today I learned the Turkish method for removing soon to be stains from fabric right after it has been dirtied. There I was, chowing down on my rice and some topping involving ground meat, tomatoes, and french fries when splat, got a drop of delicious juice on my sleeve. "Fast fast, salt!" Apo nearly shouted at me.
"What?"
"Salt!"
So I went for the salt, rubbing it on the stain apparently wasn't was I was supposed to do because Apo took over, emptying a packet of salt on top of the stain and giving it a slight press to make it stick in a clump. I was instructed to leave it. After several minutes I became curious and brushed the salt off my cuff. I can't really tell if it helped, there's only a slight discoloration on my cuff now, it'll come out in the wash. Maybe the magic worked, maybe it would work better if I had gotten on it immediately. This is why we should all carry those little paper packets of salt in our pockets.
An insult I've been hearing people call at one another is 'Şerefsiz' which actually means, 'scurvy.' I guess calling someone a scurvy dog is still being done away from pirate-themed parties at college frat houses. One of the students always has a little insult match with Apo whenever she goes down to the cafe. They switch between calling each other the English names of animals, and traditional Turkish insults like 'stupid villager'.
School is near empty now, many of the few remaining students actually have finals tomorrow so those numbers will plummet further by the end of this week. The Turkish students have some strange habits, being rich many don't seem to have a problem with spending money in ineffective ways. Such as, one student, who I didn't actually recognize, told me he only comes to class once a week, but he hired a night tutor, so it's alright. If he (or his father probably) is going to pay for him to learn English, he might as well go to the first before considering a second. But often have I been ridiculed here for such thinking. "Why do you want to do everything in an efficient way?"

Here is a political rally I went past in a taxi. It wasn't very high energy, the guy on the megaphone kept taking long pauses to squint at his notes. Baby, if you're reading your politics from notes you ain't feeling it!

And here's a cute kitty.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the dutch do the salt thing too but only with red wine
and it does work
dump on tons immediately and leave to suck up all the moisture. after awhile you get a nice reddish pink crusty salt cake that you can just vaccuume off the carpet. voila!
i may try it with other stains now tho... good tip.

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home