22 April 2006

Another Kilt Saturday

Today was another fun kilt excursion, the amount of attention an article of clothing can draw is ridiculous, passing a school, a pack of girls leaning from third story windows cheered me and snapped pictures with their phone cameras. Most people just point and talk excitedly to anyone close at hand, makes me feel like a star. The fellows at Funky Cafe got a big kick out of my attire when I dropped by today to bask in air conditioning and free meals. Here are some pictures from my walk around the neighborhood as we go full tilt into summer.


This is widely believed to be the loudest mosque in Istanbul.



Tonight was a big one for Istanbul, Fenerbaçe versus Galatasaray playing in the Fenerbaçe stadium on the Anatolia side. It wasn't even close, 4 to nothing. (unless there was more scoring in the last minute, I left to beat the crowd heading out) And the boys in blue and yellow pull ahead in the division and Galatasaray fans get to find a rock to hide under. The first twenty minutes of the match saw two goals for Fenerbaçhe and the rest of the first half was defensive play, a third goal at the beginning of the second half and things were pretty well sealed. The last ten minutes were spent kicking the ball around while the crowd chanted, then when Galatasaray got too aggressive at one point, they whipped around and got goal four.

It's hard to cheer for either team when there doesn't seem to be any contest. I just hope next time they play there is at least the semblance of competition. Watching that match I think I'm back to having no team to cheer. "What about Fenerbaçe?" Well, rooting for them is like rooting for the Yankees in baseball or Red Wings in Hockey, but if things continue like this...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home