29 March 2006

It's Really Just Easier to Walk

The Cafe's absent worker has returned, a cast on his arm, but smiling. We are all very relieved to see him back safe. From what people tell me, traffic accidents are a fairly common occurrence in Istanbul, though I witnessed a handful in January when the roads turned to ice. People drive much slower here than they do in America, making it less difficult to jay-walk even on the busier streets. Traffic still has problems, and it makes me wonder what things might turn into if everyone started driving faster! Turn signals are used, but since "right of way" doesn't seem to be on drivers' minds, turns are still taken with near randomness.
This applies in all situations with lines
I count myself lucky to be within walking distance of everything I make daily use of as well as public transportation. In fact, I count myself lucky not to have a car to worry about, gasoline is about the equivalent of 5 USD for a gallon's worth. Tiny, glittering cubes of unswept auto glass also decorate many sidewalks near where I live. Auto horns and flashing lights are much more frequently used, some drivers will even go up narrow one-way streets after flashing their lights to warn whoever might think of traveling along established routes. You see people take roundabouts backwards to try to save time and end up causing traffic to halt. Despite noticeable mistakes made by drivers, everything blends to create a blend of pandemonium that rushes through Istanbul in all directions.
But unless I'm going father than Beshiktash, I find it just easier to walk.

Oh! Today is the big solar eclipse! Though I won't be frying out my retinas trying to see it, it will be broadcast on the television for those of us who stay in basements all day.

It should look something like this:

But we all really know it's a dragon come to eat the sun. So yell really loud at the sky to scare it away. Because a dragon that can eat the sun is afraid of loud noises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home