28 March 2006

Wherever You Go the Sky is Blue^2

March has been really something in Istanbul. Back in California one day things would just switch and that was that, but Istanbul keeps us on our toes. We've fluttering between warm and cold, sun and rain and I started really seeing Turkish as a communication tool where before it felt like I was having to pass my thoughts through a complicated cypher. The warmer weather is bringing a whole different kind of lifestyle to Istanbul, the outside is no longer a place to move from one inside to another with as much haste as can be mustered. People linger and lounge outside, everyone's window is open. On walks I notice people leaning from their windows, enjoying the warm air and watching the pedestrians make their progress along the street. My manager at the coffee shop back in California once pointed something out to me, "If you wave at people, they will reflexively wave back." She might have added, unless they're shaking a rug out from a balcony, but that goes without saying really.


This the the back way I sometimes take to and from the school. I love the worn stones with green shoots slowly crumbling their edges. It's places like this that makes Istanbul feel still very wild and open. Like there are still so much that can happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home