27 May 2006

MayFest 2006

Yesterday was the large student music festival at Baçeşehir University, I knew a student whose band played, and all the students were there, how could I refuse? So I showed up in the late afternoon sporting the kilt, all the way to Beshiktash I enjoyed the ruckus, people pointing, staring, school had just been dismissed so I found myself in mobs of high school students all asking me where I was from and how old I was. I ran into Mehmet on the street, he played guitar and sang at the cafe on Thursday nights, we greeted and chatted about music before parting.
After breaking from the bustling market and crossing the main street (only 15 seconds is given to pedestrians to cross five or so lanes, so you gotta run!) I arrived at the university campus. Security let me through with out the usual questions, it must have been the kilt, and I walked out back to the green along the Bosphorus. Quick re-acquaintances were made with the students I knew, I was introduced to more, and I settled in to watch the bands. My favorite song played was probably 'Love Song' by the Cure, I love hearing which English songs make the set lists for live performances. And Love Song performed by a Turkish woman with a heavy accent is not something to be missed. Between two bands I was asked to take the stage, I was introduced and asked a few questions, then asked to sing a Scottish Song. (Kilt again) The song I picked was Irish actually, but the crowd enjoyed "Whisky, You're the Devil" all the same.
But towards the end of the band with which my student played the weather began to turn sour, I abandoned my sudoku puzzle and started the walk home, hoping it wouldn't start pouring before I got under some shelter. I ran into two more students at the intersection waiting for the fifteen second sprint and they convinced me to come have dinner with them. I had something delicious, and I knew what it was and it was still delicious, something they told me non-turks feared. I had a spicy intestine sandwich and oysters, it was so good. It was your usual bread smeared with spicy tomato sauce, basil, sheep meat, and chopped cow intestines. Delicious!
We parted after eating and I struck off for Mecidiyeköy. Shortly after I arrived home I began to hear the pouring rain along with the occasional thunder clap, so I guess I left just in time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home