08 March 2006

Tonight Someone Gets Bragging Rights

Istanbul has three football (soccer) teams, Galatasaray, Fenerbache, and Beshiktash. Beshiktash has never been very good and their fans, while violently in love with their team, aren't really anywhere but right around the stadium. Also like the Oakland Raiders Beshiktash dresses in black and white. But today isn't about Beshiktash so they will not be mentioned again.

As the title suggests tonight is a large match between the two most popular teams in Istanbul, Galatasaray and Fenerbache. All the students are decked out in the colors of their favorite team and many have asked me which team I support. (Galatasaray of course, Fenerbache is nothing but a bunch of mincing rich boys in blue and yellow, but this in no way effects my impartiality as an observer.) In celebration of this momentous event the winds decided to shift and pour freezing rain over the city. I suppose I spoke too soon when I claimed cold weather was a thing of the past. Hopefully the cold spell will pass before Jess and Elsa come back from the states and I will be able to pretend it was perfect the whole time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home