03 March 2006

Teetering on the First Weekend of March

Friday, the great day for reflection upon the work week while tensely awaiting it's close. These last few weeks have seen great improvement in my Turkish, and now some of the students giggle with delight when I speak in a more familiar language. I have been told my accent is good, probably because I have learned phonetically though mimicking the cafe workers. Most communication is done in Turklish, a blend of Turkish and English. When Apo and I come to a halt in communication around a word we usually rattle off the word in as many languages as we know hoping for cognates. This method is yet to work, but we keep at it.
Computers are fairly new to the public in Turkey and they remain a great mystery to most. Think of it as an amplification of the situation in America, where many view computers as magic boxes they can barely control, except computers have been introduced more recently to the masses in Turkey.
The weather continues to be amazing and I have high hopes for exploration during the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home