03 April 2006

Waking Up To The Nescafe

The light has a different quality, more yellow it seems. As I walked up the hill this morning I admired the concrete skeletons rising over Şişli, they didn't appear so mottled and decayed in the April sun. In a few months I'm sure they will be glazed with windows and filled with people in suits. Even if work moves at a halting pace or seems neglected for months at a time, Istanbul still has a very strong feeling of building. Everywhere new apartment buildings are under construction and you can't help but imagine the junk men who haul away hand carts full of pipes, bricks, and discarded appliances are building something out of them.
April brings some other changes as well, the super boots worn by Turkish women are all but gone, one of the students who always wore stiletto heeled boots seems a full three inches shorter, I didn't recognize her until she was right in my face and rapidly greeting me. Apo tells me he's very tired today, he had been up all night talking on the phone with his new girlfriend! Hooray Apo, let's just hope you don't start neglecting your English lessons. I'm now joking around with Apo and Gokçe in our gibbering blend of Turkish and English.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home